The Firstbeat Sports Sensor (Sensor) includes software that can be updated. New firmware versions are available periodically. The new version often includes fixes, improvements and support for new features.
We recommended you always update all Sensors to the latest firmware as soon as possible.
Firstbeat Sports Sensor firmware can be updated using the Firstbeat Sports app on iPad (Coach app), or mobile device (Athlete app). Both athletes and coaches can update the firmware.
Please follow these instructions when updating a Sensor:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of the Firstbeat Sports app before updating the firmware.
Download all measurements from the Sensor before updating firmware.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
Keep the Sensors near the device you are using to update during the firmware update process (e.g. iPad or mobile phone).
Update Sensors using one device at a time (e.g. one iPad/one mobile phone).
Updating one Sensor with version 1.x or 2.x takes approximately four minutes. After updating to version 3.x, the next firmware update will take approximately one minute.
Topics covered in this article:
1. Firstbeat Sports: Coach app - Updating the Sensors
The Firstbeat Sports: Coach app will notify the user (coaches) when a new update is available or if there are Sensors that don’t have the latest version installed.
A blue circle with a number inside will appear on the Prepare Sensor menu icon, indicating the number of Sensors currently within range of the app that can be updated.
In the Prepare Sensors view, there is a blue microchip icon visible when an update for a Sensor is available. The currently installed firmware version is visible under the Sensor ID number.
Start the update process for a selected Sensor by pressing the microchip icon (highlighted in the image below).
Press Update to start the process and please allow the update process to finish. During the update, the Sensor LED will be on.
Note: When updating the Sensor to version 3, the update process completes in two phases. That is, the update process graphic will go from 0 to 100% two times.
2. Firstbeat Sports: Athlete app - Updating the Sensors
The Firstbeat Sports: Athlete app will notify the user (athletes) when a new update is available.
By pressing on the microchip icon (red circle), the Firmware Update view opens. Press the Update button to start the process. Keep the Sensor and mobile device close to each other during the update process.
In the event that a firmware update fails, please try again
- Sometimes, when the firmware update fails the Sensor can stay in the update mode. In the update mode, the Sensor LED is turned on.
- Update mode can only be exited by completing the firmware update. Removing and reinserting battery will make the sensor to restart in the update mode.
- If the Sensor LED is turned on but the sensor is not visible in the app, please wait a little longer. Sometimes it might take some time until the Sensor becomes visible in the update mode.
- To complete the firmware update, go to the Sensor management view and select a Sensor with the status 'UPDATE MODE' and press the blue microchip icon to restart the update process.
Athlete profile pairing is lost after the update
- In this case, the firmware update process completed successfully but the subsequent athlete profile pairing failed.
- If the athlete profile is not available after the update, you need to pair the Sensor again.
- You can pair the athlete profile as usual by using the athlete profile pairing feature.
Sensor connection lost or update process times out
- If this happens, please try again.
- Usually the reason for this temporary problem in the wireless traffic.
- If there are measurements in the Sensor memory they are downloaded before the firmware update process start. Downloading several measurements can take time and this can slow down the update process. For this reason, it's a good practice to download the measurements from all Sensors before starting the update process.
Canceling the update during the update process
- If you cancel the update, it's possible to start again.
If you need any further assistance with this, you can contact Firstbeat Support.